The V&A has opened a refurbished photo gallery dedicated to displaying treasures from its vast photography collection.
The V&A was the first museum in the world to collect photography. It was founded in 1852 with profits from the 1851 Great Exhibition and started collecting photography in 1856 (the medium was only officially invented in 1839). Over 150 years later, it now has over half a million photos,
The photo’s shows here are from the top: Julia Margaret Cameron’s “Circle” (c1865), Curtis Moffat’s “Dragonfly” (c1930), Gustave Le Gray’s “The Brig” (1856), Roger Fenton’s ‘Roslyn Chapel’ (1856) and Robert Howlett’s ’Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the Launching Chains of ‘The Great Eastern”(1857) and the portrait of Georgia O’Keefe by Alfred Stieglitz
Via: Financial Times